Tuesday, April 24, 2012

1913 Armory Show and it's relation to modern literature in that time

After browsing through the gallerys of the Armory Show I noticed a connection with the art being displayed to many of the concepts I am currently studying in modern american novels of the 20th century. Two of these pieces of work stood out to me the most, and these are the ones I've decided to speak about.

This piece clearly speaks to the use of nature in the 20th century as an outlet. When viewing this paiting it reminded me of Whitman and his poem Song of Myself. I see the sky, the land, animals and humans all coexisting together. It also shows a modern example of labor in the early 20th century as it appears there is farm work and phsycial labor being employed as a means of survival.

This photo immediately reminded me of the separation and isolation of women and men which comes up in many writings of the 20th century. While viewing this painting I thought of Dickinson and her feelings of isolation, Gilman and her struggle for independence in The Yellow Wallpaper and Freeman with her demands for equality and recognition from her husband in The Revolt of "Mother".  There was a bond between women in the 20th century between women which is portrayed in this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment